Utility Bill Help

Temporary heat and utility assistance may be available for eligible low-income families and individuals when heating or electric service has been or will be shut off.Payments may include the amount needed to restore or continue the service for at least 30 days. Assistance may also be available to provide payment for necessary charges to deliver a 30-day supply of a deliverable fuel.You are required to pay a portion of your bill.2-1-1 or MDHHS may be able to assist you with the amount of your bill above your required payment when heating or electric serve has been or will be shut off.

State Emergency Relief is a crisis intervention program that provides assistance for energy-related expenses such as heating fuel, electricity and home repairs.

Eligibility is based on:

  • Demonstration of immediate need (past due/shutoff notice); or
  • Declared need for a deliverable fuel such as fuel oil; or
  • Verified need for energy-related home repair; and 
  • Income; and  
  • Assets.

Heating fuel has an annual maximum of $450 to $850 depending on the fuel type (maximum payment may change based on available funding). DHHS will only issue one payment for heat and one payment for non-heat electricity between October 1 and September 30 each year, up to the fiscal year cap. A SER payment for heat or non-heat electricity service qualifies your household for additional energy services through the Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP). Please call 2-1-1 for a referral to a MEAP grantee to see what other assistance you may be eligible to receive. State energy-related home repairs have a $4,000 lifetime limit per household.

The Home Heating Credit offers support for heating costs. Michigan Department of Treasury determines eligibility and makes payments.

Keep in mind:

  • You do not need to file a state income tax return to receive the Home Heating Credit.
  • You may apply for the Home Heating Credit only.
  • Eligibility is based on income, number of exemptions and household heating costs.

Review the Home Heating Credit Claim Instruction Book for more details and complete the MI-1040CR-7 Claim Form to apply.

Forms are automatically mailed to households that received a credit last year. Applications are available from mid- to late January and may be made through September 30 of each year. 

Weatherization Assistance Program provides free home energy conservation services to low-income Michigan homeowners and renters. Services reduce energy use and lower utility bills.

Services typically include: 

  • Wall Insulation.
  • Attic Insulation and Ventilation.
  • Foundation Insulation.
  • Air Leakage Reduction.
  • Smoke Detectors.
  • Dryer Venting.

Services are administered by local Community Action Agencies and nonprofit organizations.

Contact your local Weatherization Operator to get started.

Eligibility is based on household income being at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. If you receive cash assistance administered by the Department of Human Services or Supplemental Security Income, you automatically qualify for this no-cost program.


Additional Home Heating
Resources by County

Click your region to find agencies to assist you in paying your natural gas, propane, fuel oil
or electricity heating bill.

Additional Home Heating Resources by County

Click your region to find agencies to assist you in paying your natural gas, propane, fuel oil
or electricity heating bill.